Address: 1, rue Lord Byron, 116, avenue des Champs-Élysées
Year of completion: 1932/1934
Client: Société Réunion Foncière
Architect: Jean Desbouis
Typical floor area: 4,203m2
The first line of the Paris Métro opened in 1900 and the station served the World Exhibition. On the avenue itself, company headquarters, large hotels and luxury boutiques gradually replaced the Second Empire mansions. J. Desbouis set a commercial property with a striking swung facade on a deep lot, then later added an extension on the Avenue des Champs-Élysées. The deep perforated structure accommodates a 2,000-seat cinema (accessible from the building) as well as five floors of offices stacked on top. Since these upper stories rest on seven metal gantries between 23 and 36m wide and 16 to 19m high, the cinema is unencumbered by columns.