Address: 601 West 26th Street
Year of completion: 1932
Architect: Cory & Cory with Yasuo Matsui
Ground floor area: 9,933m2
12th floor area: 4,447m2
During the late 1920s Ralph Walker designed and built a series of communications buildings in the New York and New Jersey metropolitan area. Designed to be occupied by a single tenant and to fit that corporation’s programme, these structures needed a consistency and unity of architectural expression. This building was a functionally complex facility for telephone machinery as well as offices. This dual use required large, undivided floor areas for equipment and operators to be placed around a central service core. The volume is the outcome of three building campaigns which resulted in two extensions and enlargements of the original 1911 building.