Address: Largo São Francisco, Rua Senador Paulo Egídio
Year of completion: 1957–60
Client: Conde Attilio Matarazzo
Architect: Mieczyslaw Grabowski
Construction co: Facchini SA & Construtora Predial
Typical floor area: 858m2
This office building has a commercial ground floor with mezzanine, which sets back on one side to allow for an outside gallery along large round pillars. It almost fills the entire plot, leaving only a small courtyard which provides light to further offices. Brought in in 1957, law no 5261 defined a maximum occupation of the lot of six times for commercial buildings, and four times for residential buildings, so the building must have been allowed just before the legislation. A strip of red ceramic tiles, a common facing material at the time, underlines the ribbon windows, which emphasise the building’s round corner.