Address: Cerrito 1350
Architect: Olavo Redig de Campos
with Oswaldo Cintra de Carvalho
and Luis Henrique Gomes Pessina
Typical floor area: 471m2
Designed by a Brazilian architect who worked for the Brazilian Foreign Service (Itamaraty), this building shows the quality of Brazilian architecture of this period, by working with structural ideas and the use of concrete in a Brutalist manner. The concrete slabs are supported only by big pillars along the two party walls and a central core with lifts, while the facade’s parapets function as beams being doubled with round concrete elements that serve as plant basins. On the ground floor, this structure allows an open continuous space of the entrance hall spanning between the party walls without additional support.